JOCCI

Our Mission: To offer Jeep Enthusiasts and their families an opportunity to meet and to participate in numerous outdoor activities.

News:

JEEP OUTDOOR CLUB OF CENTRAL IOWA

Author Topic: Project Tater  (Read 1617 times)

Offline TaterTot

• JOCCI Member
Project Tater
« on: April 23, 2017, 09:02:24 PM »
Starting the process of my jeep since I've had it for a few months now and getting more into the "jeep" lifestyle as I own it. Constantly looking at different options I want that can't afford yet and what's the extreme and what's  the necessary.

I got my JKU Sahara with sadly 3.21 gears and didn't realize it at first and was misled at the dealership in ankeny about the gears/tow package and was told my Wrangler had a 2" lift but it clearly doesn't. I jumped the gun but won't let that stop me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JKUMAD-Devin G.

Offline TaterTot

• JOCCI Member
Re: Project Tater
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 09:08:23 PM »
I recently started taking it off the pavement and actually started to drip her toes in the sand. I started out super slow, where I'd barely climb a curb because I didn't want to damage anything on my new ride. I took her to saylorville bridge and found a nice rut to try to drive over (which I couldn't have done in my VW Jetta prior)

JKUMAD-Devin G.

Offline TaterTot

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 09:16:17 PM »
Quickly realized that the headlights were horrible and was watching a lot of jeep videos and found rattletrap. Rattle trap is this monster of a jeep with a truck bed and a cummins 6bt engine. They were going over a build list for rattle trap and they used JW speaker lighting and I thought in my head, if they put these headlights on a $300,000+ build then they must be good. I got the evolution 8700 j's and I couldnt be happier for a headlight.

JKUMAD-Devin G.

Offline TaterTot

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 09:21:57 PM »
I quickly realized my limitations are my fenders for clearance for the 33.34" tires currently on Tater Tot. Currently I've been looking at either flat fenders or a 2.5" teraflex lift kit to make more room. These kind of mods may have to wait for a bonus check or two, or tax returns because I can dump the cash to afford them but I won't let that stop me. I still try to take my "stock" jeep out to do things risking scratching the wheels or paint by climbing some smaller hills and some logs when driving around in random places.

JKUMAD-Devin G.

Offline TaterTot

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 09:29:40 PM »
I may have just started and have only just begun thinking about changing from stock, but I will progress slowly but surely. A lot of help since following some jeep pages and especially this forum along with the people in it. Advised to take my steps off so I did, easy thing to do and I can say I love wrenching on my jeep that I haven't even had an oil change for yet. When doing any mods to my jeep I'm hoping to take part in them rather than handing her off to a shop and just waiting. I want to be a part of the process. Hopefully I can start working on the flat fenders or lift kit soon so I can push a little further.

JKUMAD-Devin G.

Offline JKU4LIFE

• BOD
    • https://www.facebook.com/JKU4Life
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 11:31:30 AM »
I like to just rush in head first and realize my mistakes after the fact, so it's probably better to take your time, ask questions and do your research first. For example a lot of people want 37s and 4 inch lift, but don't consider gears, drive shaft length, axel strength etc... so thinking it through is a great idea.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

|_____.....
 /l_l__,[__]
|-[-[--|''' -0llll0-
(O)_)-(O)_)--)_)

Offline TaterTot

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 11:41:08 AM »
Yeah I came to the conclusion I should stay at 33's then get a 2.5" or maybe 3.5" lift, then regear for 35's because I don't think I'll go bigger than that. It's a slow slow process for me, I'll get there. I'll have many questions along the way.

JKUMAD-Devin G.

Offline JustinS

• BOD
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 11:47:20 AM »
Love the name! Reminds me of Ron Tater Salad White lol

Offline Muddy4DSM

• Forum Only Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 07:47:37 AM »
What size wheels are those?

Offline TaterTot

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 07:48:45 AM »
20x9 motometal 962s with 305/55/20 nitto Terra Grapplers (33.34" tire)

JKUMAD-Devin G.

Offline TaterTot

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 12:52:27 PM »
TaterTot got new shoes yesterday and he loves when they sing to the song of their jeeple.

Had some 305/55/20 all terrain nittos on 20" motometals.  Decided to stray a little away from the mall crawler status.

Got some 33x12.5x15 good year duratracs on 15" level 8 wheels.

JKUMAD-Devin G.

Offline TaterTot

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 12:54:11 PM »
With the help of some jeeple in the club I got my older wheels off and put on some sweet low riding 29" stock wheels! It felt like a low rider

JKUMAD-Devin G.

Offline TaterTot

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 12:55:07 PM »
As Jacob would say... "the reverse mullet"

JKUMAD-Devin G.

Offline TaterTot

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 12:57:11 PM »
Had to throw 5 of these heavy as heck wheels/tires in the back. Let me tell you what... these things involved a complex series of puzzles to fit enough to shove into the booty of TaterTot.

Finally got all 5 in there and then headed off to grab the new ones.

JKUMAD-Devin G.

Offline TaterTot

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 01:00:50 PM »
Had a little extra from selling my tires and buying new ones that I had Atch give me some take off Rubicon rock rails #armor

Now I've just got to get these trimmed a couple inches, bring back the wheels I borrowed during the ordeal, and some tire pressure sensors put in the new wheels! Woo!

JKUMAD-Devin G.