JOCCI

Our Mission: To offer Jeep Enthusiasts and their families an opportunity to meet and to participate in numerous outdoor activities.

News:

JEEP OUTDOOR CLUB OF CENTRAL IOWA

Author Topic: GEN and starting  (Read 330 times)

Offline ejeffres

• JOCCI Member
GEN and starting
« on: January 02, 2018, 06:40:08 PM »
Hi, 1996 XJ 4.0 my Jeep will only start after the fuel pump pressure’s up and then the GEN will come on. Summer it took longer but the colder it got the procedure was shorter until -15 then the pump wouldn’t come on at all. Could this be a bad fuel pump?  Thanks, Ed

Offline GoNCommando

• JOCCI Member
Re: GEN and starting
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 09:45:42 AM »
Have you changed the filter yet?  Is the pump overly (or more than usually) noisy? Most (not all) electric pumps get noisy when they go bad. 
Change the filter, and if the problem still exists, take it to somebody that has a pressure gauge and check the pressure on the fuel rail.
If I remember correctly, it should be around 45 PSI running.  Any lower, and the pump is bad, or there is a blockage in the line (not common, you already changed the filter, right???)
And if you take to a shop for a new pump, don't let them tell you they have to drop the gas tank (and charge you for it).  I had a 93 XJ, and took the in-tank pump out, on my back, under the truck, and replaced it.

Offline ejeffres

• JOCCI Member
Re: GEN and starting
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 12:07:44 PM »
Thanks, I never thought about the filter. You have to listen for the motor it doesn’t sound nosy. I crawled under my jeep to and thought it could be changed without removing the tank or jack it up with my lift. Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk