Public Area > Builds

RealMcCoy ZJ Build

(1/3) > >>

Realmccoy:
Figured I should post one for the ZJ also. I built this originally when I first joined the club. I bought it for $200 with a blown motor and 160,000 miles. Found a 5.2L with 80,000 miles and get it installed. Next came the lift.

It had 3.5 inch lift and 31inch tires

Got it all done and Hit a deer the next weekend

Insurance company cut me a check and I got her all fixed up and replaced all my control arms with what was left over

Realmccoy:
After wheeling it twice I decided the lift didn't let me do what I wanted so i took it off and sold it. I just kept the jeep for a DD and bought a 76 Chief from murphy. After spending this winter working on the Chief ( just waiting for the carb shop to get done then its ready to wheel ) I decided to turn my attention back to the ZJ to be my DD / Trip Jeep / Mild Wheeler.

First thing up is to swap the transfer case. I had a 249, installed a 242, But I am now installing a 231 for strength and the ability to install a SYE if i have any vibration issues.

Realmccoy:
Well after the trip to the farm today I decided its time to do something about the rockers. I am considering two options. First would be to make rock sliders that sit below the rockers. Only thing I don't like about them is I would be giving up extra clearance. The second option would be to cut the rockers out and weld in 4in square tube into the location. From that I could build an extra bar kind of like the sliders on ryans jk. This would give me decent protection without losing ground clearance.

pvanweelden:
Do the later, let me know what you want for steel, I can get it cheap

Sent from my SCH-R880 while laying in bed watching some horrible movie on USA

dabeave92:

--- Quote from: Realmccoy on May 20, 2012, 07:32:53 PM ---Well after the trip to the farm today I decided its time to do something about the rockers. I am considering two options. First would be to make rock sliders that sit below the rockers. Only thing I don't like about them is I would be giving up extra clearance. The second option would be to cut the rockers out and weld in 4in square tube into the location. From that I could build an extra bar kind of like the sliders on ryans jk. This would give me decent protection without losing ground clearance.

--- End quote ---

Or just get a better spotter next time.   ::)

I'm sorry I didn't get you through on a better line.  I'm still pretty new to wheeling and spotting is definitely not my forte.  I plan to watch & learn from Brian Yoch more this year on our Moab trip...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version