JOCCI

Our Mission: To offer Jeep Enthusiasts and their families an opportunity to meet and to participate in numerous outdoor activities.

News:

JEEP OUTDOOR CLUB OF CENTRAL IOWA

Author Topic: Man That Jeep is Bright!  (Read 61719 times)

Offline Morg

• JOCCI Member
Re: Man That Jeep is Bright!
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 04:26:57 PM »
Quit looking at that booty Sean put up there and type...
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic."

Offline GeckoGlow

• BOD
  • I'm here for the wheelin'
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 04:36:32 PM »
RESULTS!!! (calculated and analyzed)

Measurements are from the ground to the bottom of the fender.

Font part #s:  13 to 17
Front before:   35.5"
Front after:     36.5"

Rear part #s:  55 to 58
Rear before:   35"
Rear after:     35.75"

I'll call it a 1" lift

Front Before:

Front After:

Rear Before:

Rear After:

I can see the difference in height and the ride hasn't changed much, maybe slightly stiffer.
'13 JK Wrangler - The wheeling rig
'01 WJ Grand Cherokee - The daily & farm runner

Offline xflstl

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 04:54:22 PM »
Hindsite being 20/20 and all.... For future ref the best way I found to see how much lift or height you gain with any mod is to go under the jeep, find your lowest (closest to the ground) point that is roughly 1/2 way between front and rear axles, and messure there before and after.   Works good for tire/spring/lift mods, but no so well for added weight mods like bumpers/winchs..

Offline Superman

• Forum Only Member
  • Spam Man
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2013, 05:19:09 PM »
Odd question: does you have any rubbing problems with your cb antenna bumping on the back or side?
Looks good. Do you have a coil compressor then?
I'm setting a record for the most spam on my profile! Thanks all.

'01 XJ

Offline Atch

• JOCCI Member
Man That Jeep is Bright!
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 05:19:16 PM »
Or for measuring lift height you can reference this

Stock for now...

Offline GeckoGlow

• BOD
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 05:33:28 PM »
Odd question: does you have any rubbing problems with your cb antenna bumping on the back or side?
Looks good. Do you have a coil compressor then?

Zero issues with the CB antenna.

To install, I lifted the front of the Jeep and supported at the frame. Removed wheels, and sway bar and shock axle bolts. Lower the axle enough without pinching hoses or lines and the springs essentially fall right out. Repeat for the rear.

Or for measuring lift height you can reference this

What about the rear?

Offline GeckoGlow

• BOD
Man That Jeep is Bright!
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2013, 06:44:55 PM »
The time for another modification should be here in the next month or so. Should I continue to armor? maybe a front locker? or something I haven't thought of? Looking for advice that may sway my decision.

I'm still fairly tame when it comes to wheelin' my Jeep, but I've tried something new every time I go. I'm also trying to build this Jeep with a "One and Done" mindset... unless anyone else wants to give me free stuff... This mindset has me debating if I want to dump any money into my current axles when I know I'll be looking for new ones in a couple years. Currently my thoughts are hovering around building for 37"s and 4" lift.

Offline Atch

• JOCCI Member
Man That Jeep is Bright!
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2013, 07:36:57 PM »
If you're going to junk the 30 in a couple yrs why waste money on a front locker?
Stock for now...

Offline GeckoGlow

• BOD
Man That Jeep is Bright!
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2013, 08:02:28 PM »
I feel a locker could be very useful in the years before the swap. I'm trying to come up with things that are purposeful off-road use and aren't just bling bling.

Offline murphyslaw

• Forum Only Member
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2013, 08:46:12 PM »
Do NOT GET LOCKERS!

This is the best advice I can give ya.

Learn to drive your jeep through the trails and wheel it with finess and learn the capabilyty of what a jeep can do before you go throwing lockers at it. Lockers become crutches for the inexperenced and can get you into trouble faster than anything else. The better you are with out lockers than the better you will be when you need them.

Talk to some of the vetrans in the club and they will tell you to lay off the lockers.

Offline GeckoGlow

• BOD
Man That Jeep is Bright!
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2013, 09:02:24 PM »
I can see where you're coming from and it's good advice. I like talking things out before I go and do them cause it helps with keeping my thoughts level.

Offline murphyslaw

• Forum Only Member
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2013, 09:05:53 PM »
here is the list.

Tires. thatís where the rubber meets the road. It doesnít matter how many lockers you have and what ever else, if the tires arenít  doing it than you arenít doing it.

Lift. this will accommodate the tires to get the most out of the suspension. and go hand and hand with the tires. If the suspension works like it should and the tires touch the ground than you will keep going forward.

Winch. Now your at a point that you can get stuck. Winch usually includes a bumper and this means you get rid of one thing that you will just destroy any way. Winch means you can get yourself out of trouble the safest way possible. LOCKERS do not keep you from getting stuck. lockers do not save you from rolling or some one in your crew from rolling. Do yourself a favor and everyone with you and get a winch to make it easier on all of us.

Armor. Now with the confidence the winch and lift and tires brought you, you will be going places you never thought you could and some you shouldnít. The only thing I might place higher than a winch is rocker protection. But thatís it.

Roll cage upgrade. Now your in real trouble. your jeeps sideways off camber, if you move forward you might roll, if you move back you defiantly will roll. Nowís the time you start thinking that you should of upgraded your cage. By this time you have some experience and so does your jeep. YOU do not have a roll cage in your jeep. It is a sport cage. It is meant to hopefully save your life on a genital flop. it will not always save you on a full on roll. And defiantly wont save your jeep from minimal damage.

Axles are a waste of time. you own one of the toughest jeeps with the toughest axles ever built. More than capable of running 35s all day. If it aint broke donít fix it.

lockers. go for it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:08:07 PM by murphyslaw »

Offline xflstl

• JOCCI Member
Re: Re: Man That Jeep is Bright!
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2013, 10:30:22 PM »
Do NOT GET LOCKERS!

Learn to drive your jeep through the trails and wheel it with finess and learn the capabilyty of what a jeep can do before you go throwing lockers at it. Lockers become crutches for the inexperenced and can get you into trouble faster than anything else. The better you are with out lockers than the better you will be when you need them.

Talk to some of the vetrans in the club and they will tell you to lay off the lockers.
. This is great advise, Brian gave me this same advise. I did my best not to use my lockers, to the point that i from time to time i forget briefly that i even have them.   Honestly the most useful advise i have ever received about jeeps/ driving/ offroading.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Offline Jeepinjon

• Not all who wander are lost.
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2013, 01:42:29 PM »
Do NOT GET LOCKERS!

Lockers also tend to expose the weak points in the drivetrain and can lead to more broken parts.

Offline Morg

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2013, 02:04:16 PM »
Do NOT GET LOCKERS!

I like to keep my lockers turned off 99.9% of the time... Makes things for fun and interesting. Every once in a GREAT while when I give an obstacle it's 3 trys I will flip on the locker(s).... If you do get a locker, get a selectable one for that reason... Just my .02
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic."