JOCCI

Our Mission: To offer Jeep Enthusiasts and their families an opportunity to meet and to participate in numerous outdoor activities.

News:

JEEP OUTDOOR CLUB OF CENTRAL IOWA

Author Topic: No more open-open  (Read 1304 times)

Offline SN95GT50

• JOCCI Member
Re: No more open-open
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 07:27:26 PM »
Barnes4wd has 20% off if you use promo code THANKS, I think it is good through the 28th.  Ordered the brackets (http://www.barnes4wd.com/Jeep-TJ-Rear-Axle-Brackets_p_497.html) using that, that is a step forward.  cleaned more rust off the axle and painted the stock diff cover.  Haven't decided if I will keep the diff cover, they are know for being pretty weak.  Before and after, after is the shinier one.

No luck finding a front axle yet, but, I have plenty of time for that...

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 07:31:41 PM by SN95GT50 »
2005 Wrangler X
Basically Stock
 - Stock Explorer Rear Axle
 - Stock Cherokee Front Axle

Offline KnoXouT

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 09:03:33 PM »
Looking good John. That will be a nice upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium"
I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Offline SN95GT50

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 09:45:50 PM »
Been a month since I updated...

More parts ordered: Core 4x4 upper & lower adjustable control arms (rear), Spicer bracket to connect TJ DS to 8.8, gasket for the diff cover.

With the cold weather wasn't making any progress so moved the axle to the basement where it is nice and toasty and closer to the beer fridge.  I have it set up on my work bench on jack stands using a bottle jack to set the pinion angle to match the Dana 35.

Put on brake brackets to use for finding the center of the axle, mounted a steel plate to the top of the diff to mark my center point, if you look you can see it in the attached picture.  Unlike the TJ the differential is not centered let to right, it is about 2 inches towards the passenger side.  Helps to offset the driver.

Plan to jack the frame of the jeep up in the next couple days so I can continue to take measurements for the brackets.

John
2005 Wrangler X
Basically Stock

Offline SN95GT50

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 09:54:40 PM »
Control Arms...

2005 Wrangler X
Basically Stock

Offline JustinS

• BOD
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 10:12:19 PM »
Awesome!

Offline GoNCommando

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 10:09:49 AM »
Great job, John!   :clap

Offline SN95GT50

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 01:19:44 PM »
Yesterday, I got a lot of work done on the axle.  I tack welded on the UCA brackets, the spring perches and the trackbar bracket.  I also marked where the remaining brackets need to be welded on.  Cody is going to weld it up for me when our schedules cooperate.  I think the Dana 35 is getting jealous, for the first time I am getting some diff fluid leaking and the passenger side drum brake cylinder wet itself.  Besides the work yesterday, I fixed the brake cylinder leak this morning, the diff leak is going to stay.

This was a bigger step than I realized, these brackets were kicking my but, particularly the DS UCA and the track bar bracket, I wasn't born with enough hands to hold everything.  Scott Jones came over and spent most of the day working on it.  Serious thanks go out to Scott for helping me out yesterday, John Schiefer for letting me use his welder and John Longman for loaning me his jack and jackstands.  Could not have done it without you guys.

Thanks guys,
John

2005 Wrangler X
Basically Stock

Offline Luke Graham

• Vendor
  • wheelin' and dealin'
    • Frontier 4x4
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2018, 05:22:29 PM »
Keep it up.

I think I saw someone posting on FB JOCCI looking for a 35, might be able to sell it quick.
www.frontier4x4.com - For the best prices on everything off-road
Luke Graham - (641) 931-0223

www.facebook.com/frontier4x4
www.offroadiowa.com - Iowa's off-road information source

Offline SN95GT50

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 12:00:00 PM »
If it is the post I saw, they were looking for Dana 35 Locker.  But,  I appreciate it.  Now if you see someone with a front axle with 4.10s, please give me a shout.

Thanks,
John
2005 Wrangler X
Basically Stock

Offline SN95GT50

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 12:01:49 PM »
Made some good progress, took calipers off yesterday, pretty rusty, will be hitting them with a wire wheel today, thought about replacing, cost was a bit much since they will just look like crap again.

Friday I order the Trak Lok rebuild, went with the carbon fiber version, should be here Tuesday.

Still trying decide what I am doing with the front axle, no luck so far finding a reasonably priced 4.10 axle, I may just do a re-gear on the Dana 30 and slide a lunchbox in at the same time.

Since the pics, added the ebrake cables.

Here are some eye candy, forgive the pics, drove over my phone while wheeling, the Jeep is fine.

2005 Wrangler X
Basically Stock

Offline SN95GT50

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2018, 11:03:43 AM »
Completed rebuild of the Trakloc last night, easier than expected. 

Purchased a Dana 30 HP earlier in the week, pick it up on 3/3/18.  Will need some parts for a regear on that, carrier, ring & pinion, bearings, seals etc.  Dare I say autolocker?!?!

Planning a talk and tune for Saturday March 10.  Beverages and food to be provided.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 11:07:29 AM by SN95GT50 »
2005 Wrangler X
Basically Stock

Offline SN95GT50

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2018, 07:32:55 PM »
# months since I updated...most know what I have done but will document here anyway.

Install of the Ford 8.8 went very smooth with help from a lot of forum members.  After the install, I got vibrations, this was something I feared because I knew the only real solution was a SYE.  Bit the bullet and ordered the SYE.

Also picked up a HP Dana 30 about the same time.  started working on this it was in pretty rough shape.  Ordered new carrier, new gears, new install kit and a Spartan locker.  I also decided to replace ball joints, the rest would be moved over from my stock Dana 30.

Cody installed the gears for me and I worked on the axle, never realized how tough ball joints would be.  Scott Jones gave me a hand and after a fair amount of cursing we got them in.  Replaced the axle side bushings on the uppers and ordered Core 4x4 adjustable lowers.

Time for a talk-n-tune for the SYE and Dane 30HP...

Plan was to install SYE on Friday and Dana 30HP on Saturday.  SYE install went pretty smooth, again due to a lot of help.  Finished that up took it for a test drive and the vibes were gone without adjusting pinion angle (that will come later).  Noticed on the test drive, no speedo, crap.
Wild Hockey game Friday night with too much beer, called off TnT for Saturday (dumbass).

Decided to diagnose speedo on Saturday morning.  I had installed a new speedo gear, but, it was clocked 90 degrees off so the 2 gears were not touching (better than smashed together and shredding). Speedo works  :HiFive.

Started working on Dana 30HP, things were going pretty well, Scott showed up and we got it mounted, springs, shocks and control arms are in.  Realized I forgot to drill and tap perches for bump stops (NHL version).  Called it a night.

Sunday, springs removed perches drilled and tapped start getting everything finished up.  Finally, I am out of parts to install.  Checked the driveshaft pinion u-joint angles, off a few degrees, adjusted lower control arms and the angles look good.

Test drive time, can't wait to hear that auto-locker ratchet sound, sure enough, there it is, cool.  Then comes the loud pop, what the hell was that?  Had several people look at it, no one can figure it out, Only happens when turning sharp.  Drive it for a while until the JOCCI meeting, with about 5 people watching as I drove around the lot someone finally found the problem, not sure who it was , but, I am grateful.  The drag link is catching on the trackbar bolt at the axle.  Turns out my drag link was bent.  Replaced that and that problem is gone.

Adjusted rear control arms to get my pinion angle correct, way easier than I thought it would be, got them right were I wanted them.

Added a new set of rims and some 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains.

Got things dialed in just in time for a Trip to SMORR with CORA (great group of guys, Scott, Brian, Ken Kyle, Craig, and the young-uns).

I could not believe how well this thing performed, I did several trails that I didn't think I could do, and maybe shouldn't have.  I did to level 5s, Rattler and Red Bull and several level 4s, killed it on Rocker Knocker.  But, I paid the price, Crushed oil pan and Bent driveshaft.

Rick Morelock took care of the driveshaft for me, putting a new tube on it.  For reference go to Rick for all driveshaft work!

Picked up a used Mopar oil pan from a pull-a-part for $40, Brian Logan helped me install that and a new rear main seal (no more oil leaks).  At the same time we installed a oil pan skid and later added a tranny skid, yes, more protection.

Finally, last weekend I got to the Farm, this was great, because I now have something to compare to.  Several of the obstacles that I've struggled with in the past where no longer an issue the combination of bigger tires, no TC drop, auto locker and LSD made them much easier.

It's been a long haul, but, I consider it extremely successful!   :HiFive

Thanks for everyone's help!

2005 Wrangler X
Basically Stock

Offline Morg

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2018, 12:12:52 AM »
Nice  :HiFive
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic."