JOCCI

Our Mission: To offer Jeep Enthusiasts and their families an opportunity to meet and to participate in numerous outdoor activities.

News:

JEEP OUTDOOR CLUB OF CENTRAL IOWA

Author Topic: COLORADO 2016  (Read 905 times)

Online pvanweelden

• JOCCI Member
COLORADO 2016
« on: July 12, 2016, 04:52:51 PM »
Thought I would share some of our pics/videos from last week in CO. My wife's parents live north of Denver, so we drive out and stay there most of the time. The last 2 years we have rented a place in Leadville to be up in the mountains and closer to trails. Last year, I lost a brake caliper on the way out, and we drove 3 hours to denver with very little brakes. We ended up renting a car to drive to leadville, but we did as much exploring with the car as we could, and even did more than we should have lol. This year, no issues with the jeep :)
We met up with Jason and a few others the first Sunday we were there to do Middle St Vrain/Coney Flats, which is fun trail with a few water crossings. Rated 5/6. The rest of the week we were solo, so the trails we did were only 4's. Nothing too challenging, but alot of fun and amazing views.
Some pics from MSV

Video- I accidentally recorded the drive up to Camp Richard, so I didn't know my SD card was full soon after we started the trail :( the second portion of the video is from a 2nd camera.
https://youtu.be/d5FUeNmbGvQ

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

JKUR, 35's, slabs, York oba, 3" enforcer, DL flip, bumpers, sliders, lots of switches, heated seats
TJ 4" lift, D44 LSD, ZJ Disc, 4.88, HP30 trussed, Spartan, 36" swampers, tube fenders, rear armor, sliders, custom rear bumper w spare tire, ammo cans, jerry cans,  smitty stinger, RC tie rod, steering box brace, skid, Currie AntiRock, SYE, LED's

Online pvanweelden

• JOCCI Member
Re: COLORADO 2016
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 05:03:55 PM »
Then we went to Leadville, and went up Hagerman Pass, which we had done part of with the rental car, as it starts out as potted dirt road but gets filled with rocks higher up. 11,925 ft at the top. This pic is at about 11,600, which means the shelf is about 1400'
It is 2 way, twice on the way up we ran into someone coming down, so you have to choose where to pass.
Met a jku from Texas with a sweet camping trailer who was going to camp up at the top.

At the top of the pass

Video going back down
https://youtu.be/nCQ6uhdlvDE

JKUR, 35's, slabs, York oba, 3" enforcer, DL flip, bumpers, sliders, lots of switches, heated seats
TJ 4" lift, D44 LSD, ZJ Disc, 4.88, HP30 trussed, Spartan, 36" swampers, tube fenders, rear armor, sliders, custom rear bumper w spare tire, ammo cans, jerry cans,  smitty stinger, RC tie rod, steering box brace, skid, Currie AntiRock, SYE, LED's

Online pvanweelden

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 05:14:09 PM »
Wednesday we had planned to do Halfmoon, but on the drive there I started to not feel good. Altitude sickness :( spent all day feeling like crap, wife felt it later that day as well :( later we found out halfmoon was still partially closed as well as mosquito pass :( so Thursday we headed out to Mount Zion. Long steep hill climb going straight up the side of the mountain. Jeep overheated at the top, so we enjoyed the views for a while before continuing across the tundra to Buckeye peak (12,300 to 12,900)

Mosquito Pass in the distance

Online pvanweelden

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 05:26:22 PM »
We then went to Ball Mountain which is an easy drive up (we did last year in the rental, but made the mistake of going down the back side of the mountain) lol. I video'd the jeep going down the backside just for fun
https://youtu.be/OieQKpXaU90
Easy in the jeep but took over an hour in the rental car lol.
A few pics from the way up Ball (12,300)

A different view of Mosquito Pass

Online pvanweelden

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 05:53:44 PM »
The house we had rented outside of Leadville

Friday on the way out of Leadville, we ran Chalk Mountain which was a fun trail with great views at the top (12,300)
active mining facility

Offline Luke Graham

• Vendor
  • wheelin' and dealin'
    • Frontier 4x4
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 07:41:21 PM »
Awesome pics, CO is one of my favorite places to be.
www.frontier4x4.com - For the best prices on everything off-road
Luke Graham - (641) 931-0223

www.facebook.com/frontier4x4
www.offroadiowa.com - Iowa's off-road information source

Online pvanweelden

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 07:57:46 PM »
Thanks, mine too :) I missed Risius by a few days, not that I could have done half of the trails he was doing. I did talk with the guy with the jk and trailer about hitting a few trails, but then I missed wednesday and they had other plans for Thursday :( oh, and ran into jocci member Corey while stuck in the tree on MSV

Offline JFjeld

• Forum Only Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 03:32:36 PM »
Great pics, Paul.  Was good to see you and Erica again.  Strangely enough, I haven't done those trails around Leadville.  Closest I've done to Leadville is Holy Cross, which is between Leadville and Vail. 
2001 2.5L TJ, HPD30/D44 with dual OX and 4.88, full armor, X20-8 winch, 35" STTs on TMI beadlocks, 1" BL, 1" Brown Dog MML, 4.5" suspension w/ fully adjustable control arms and tie rod upgrade, OBA, Novak Shifter, PS hood louver, Teraflex ESS SYE, UCF UHC tummy tuck, Adams Driveshaft

Online pvanweelden

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 05:45:59 PM »
Was great seeing you Jason! I hope you reconsider selling the jeep :(
Always a great time wheeling with you out there!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline JustinS

• JOCCI Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 10:25:52 PM »
Looks like another fun trip Paul!